Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Recipe

I know I'm not the only one who gets into a rut of cooking the same things over and over. You know the recipes by heart which mean 'no thinking required'. I do however try new recipes fairly often, but unfortunately they are a lot more of a miss than a hit. 


Until last night :-)


I came across a recipe on Saturday and thought it had potential. Chad and I both LOVE Mexican food (we could seriously eat it every day of our lives and not get tired of it) and so he was definitely in for a trial run.


I was actually looking for some slow cooker recipes to start utilizing my crock pot more for the days we run after work. When you finally get home and you're sweaty and tired you just want to shower and eat, but not have to think about cooking and doing the prep work. So if you have some good ones, please send them my way! (P.S. I HATE onions)


This is not a slow cooker recipe, but I did put it together on Monday night to have ready to throw in the oven as soon as we got home on Tuesday and our tummy's were happy. Please note that this is not a healthy recipe. Your tummy will love you more for that fact. You're welcome. :-)





Layered Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups diced chicken breast meat (I just used canned)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chile peppers, drained
1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F

2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and spray with vegetable cooking spray. Saute chicken with cumin and coriander until chicken is cooked through. (Since I bought canned chicken and it was already cooked I just mixed it up with the cumin and coriander in a bowl and didn’t cook it in a skillet) Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the cilantro, black beans, and green chile peppers.

3. Spread half of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of an 11x17 inch baking dish. Place 4 tortillas over the sauce, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas, and sprinkle with half of the cheese and half of the sour cream. Spoon the remaining enchilada sauce over the cheese, and make another layer of tortillas. Layer the remaining chicken mixture over the tortillas. Cover dish with a lid or aluminum foil.

4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the cover, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and dot with sour cream. Continue cooking, uncovered, for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

(Instead of sprinkling the sour cream on top of the cheese with each layer I wanted it to be more even throughout the whole dish, so I just put the sour cream in with the chicken mixture. Made it a lot easier!)

ENJOY!!

Let me know if you try it and like it. It was simple therefore easy and we have leftovers for after our run on Thursday so YAY!!

Love,
KZig

No comments:

Post a Comment